Happening Right Now
- October 3-5: Beartooth Plateau – Chase, Brent, and I are heading to a very remote northern finger of the Beartooth Plateau to attempt an outrageous off-trail traverse with rumors of gnarly talus and big trout.
I’ve been publishing daily journals and posting photos live from some trips in 2014 via a satellite modem:
- September 19-22: Smith River Packrafting – My friend Jeremy and I invited a bunch of entrepreneurs from around the country to join us on a packrafting trip down the Smith River. Follow along as we paddle down this remote and wild Montana canyon!
- September 13-14:
Fatbiking / BikepackingBackpacking in the Hyalite-Porcupine-Buffalo Horn Wilderness Study Area – a quick trip in the Gallatin Mountains with BSA Venturing Crew One – I’ll be posting a little bit about the trip via satellite over the weekend.
- August 13-21: Trekking & Tenkara Fly Fishing in the High Uinta Wilderness. Read the complete journals, see a photo essay, learn more about the trip, and check out my gear notes by reading the story published over at BPL.
- June 29-July 13: Packrafting / Trekking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness with Montana BSA High Adventure Base (link) and BSA Venturing Crew One (link). Read more about this trip in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Great Falls Tribune (here and here), and the Billings Gazette.
Projects & Publications
I’ll use this section to provide updates about projects and publications that I’m currently working on or otherwise have recently completed.
- BPL: Some of my recent projects that have been published at BPL include a Packraft Gear Guide, and photo essays / narratives about our treks in the Olympics and Sierras last year, and our trek in the Uintas this year.
- L2PR: I’ll be traveling and filming September 3-9 to wrap up the final scenes for Module 1 of the Learn to Packraft video series. Module 1 will be comprised of the first 7 episodes and include the entire foundation you need to become a safe and competent packrafter. Tune in to the L2PR website to view content as it’s released.
- CPSM: Our movie about the Camp Parsons Silver Marmot High Adventure Program will be released this November, and will be available online and for free. Stay tuned.
- By Foot and Paddle: This film was completed this spring and premiered at the Montana BSA Annual Meeting in Billings in May. Check it out on Vimeo to see some beautiful footage from our packrafting trek in the Bob Marshall Wilderness last year with the Montana High Adventure Base.
Want to learn about my system for blogging live from expeditions via satellite? Check out this article, too.
How to Follow Me
Social Media: I don’t manage a personal facebook profile, but you can “like” my public page here. I also post on twitter and instagram via @bigskyry. Instagram tends to be the most personal, and it’s where I also publish my expedition photography.
Writing and Expedition Blogging: I sometimes write blog posts and publish photos from my trips, which are generally posted here in the “blog” section. Links will be posted to my twitter feed and excerpts on my facebook page (see above for links). Blog posts are sent via satellite modem and are usually live. The primary outlet for my other writing is Backpacking Light, although I do write for other magazines from time to time and usually post links to that content via my twitter feed.
Thanks for visiting ryanjordan.com. I founded, and still manage Backpacking Light, as well as guide, teach, consult, and write a blog about a variety of topics including ultralight living, servant leadership, trekking, photography, tenkara fly fishing, packrafting, and scouting.
|Sign up to receive email news from Ryan Jordan
and receive a FREE copy of the PDF “Ryan’s Favorite Gear”: