I’ve been publishing daily journals and posting photos live from some trips in 2014 via a satellite modem:
- June 29-July 13: Packrafting / Trekking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness with Montana BSA High Adventure Base (link) and BSA Venturing Crew One (link). Read more about this trip in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Great Falls Tribune (here and here), and the Billings Gazette.
- August 13-21: Trekking & Tenkara Fly Fishing in the High Uinta Wilderness. Read the complete journals, see a photo essay, learn more about the trip, and check out my gear notes by reading the story published over at BPL.
Here are some activities coming up that you can follow, or join me on. Contact me if you’re interested.
- September 13-14: I’ll be taking a quick fatbiking / bikepacking trek in the Gallatin Mountains with BSA Venturing Crew One, and will post a bit about the trip via satellite over the weekend.
- September 18-23: A bunch of entrepreneurs from across the American West will convene in Montana, where we’ll travel via packraft down one of the most spectacular backcountry rivers in Montana. Follow along as we navigate deep canyons, entice trout with tenkara, and reflect on the nature of small business development in the Rockies and beyond.
- October 3-5: I’m instructing an ultralight backpacking seminar on the Beartooth Pleateau in Montana for the Backpacking Light Wilderness Trekking School. We’ll focus on “SUL techniques” in inclement conditions. This trip will involve high lakes and potentially challenging off-trail travel. There are still a few openings available, but I’m keeping the group size very small on this trek. Contact me if you’re interested, and be sure to check out the blog here for live updates published via sat.
Projects & Publications
I’ll use this section to provide updates about projects and publications that I’m currently working on or otherwise have recently completed.
- BPL: Some of my recent projects that have been published at BPL include a Packraft Gear Guide, and photo essays / narratives about our treks in the Olympics and Sierras last year, and our trek in the Uintas this year.
- L2PR: I’ll be traveling and filming September 3-9 to wrap up the final scenes for Module 1 of the Learn to Packraft video series. Module 1 will be comprised of the first 7 episodes and include the entire foundation you need to become a safe and competent packrafter. Tune in to the L2PR website to view content as it’s released.
- CPSM: Our movie about the Camp Parsons Silver Marmot High Adventure Program will be released this November, and will be available online and for free. Stay tuned.
- By Foot and Paddle: This film was completed this spring and premiered at the Montana BSA Annual Meeting in Billings in May. Check it out on Vimeo to see some beautiful footage from our packrafting trek in the Bob Marshall Wilderness last year with the Montana High Adventure Base.
Thanks for visiting ryanjordan.com. I founded, and still manage Backpacking Light, as well as guide, teach, consult, and write a blog about a variety of topics including ultralight living, servant leadership, trekking, photography, tenkara fly fishing, packrafting, and scouting.
|Sign up to receive email news from Ryan Jordan
and receive a FREE copy of the PDF “Ryan’s Favorite Gear”: